Thursday, January 7, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday-Harriet Vandegrift's Bible

I have many treasures from my mother's side of the family, but sadly, very few from Dad's family. My Dad grew up in a large family during the depression
One "treasure" I do have is the small red leather New Testament Bible that belonged to my great great grandmother, Harriet H. Vandegrift.
Harriet was 5 years old when she received this Bible in 1847 from her Sunday School teacher, Rebecca Toy. Harriet attended Sunday School in either Riverton or Palmyra, Burlington County, NJ.
Harriet was the second oldest child of Daniel Vandegrift and Mary Applegate. Mary and Daniel eventually added 12 more children to their family. All 14 Vandegrift children grew up to adulthood and married. Only one did not have children. Harriet married Franklin Kressler, a Civil War veteran, and had three children, twins Mary Catherine and John Franklin, and Lizzie. John Franklin Kressler was my great grandfather.
One of my greatest genealogy wishes would be to find photographs of Harriet and her parents. I have worked on this family so much over the past 15 years and they are dear to my heart. I am so grateful to have Harriet's little Bible--it truly is a treasure .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home